Green Roofs: Extensive vs. Intensive
What is an intensive green roof? How is it different from an extensive green roof?
There are two main types of green roof systems in common use.
Extensive Green Roof
- Soil depth 3-6 inches
- Lightweight: 15-50 lbs/sq. ft.
- Only 10 -20% organic matter in soil
- Limited plant species options
- Lower maintenance, nutrient, and irrigation requirements
Intensive Green Roof:
- Soil depth 6 inches or more
- Heavier weight load on roof: up to 150 lbs/sq. ft.
- Many more plant options including trees and shrubs
- Require irrigation, fertilization, and maintenance